Teen killed in Durham crash on Highway 55
DURHAM (WTVD) -- A 16-year-old was killed late Friday afternoon in a two-car accident on N.C. Highway 55 south of Riddle Road.
The accident happened shortly before 4:30 p.m. when a northbound Honda driven by Tyreic Elyja Hemphill, of Durham, crossed the median and drove into the path of a southbound Oldsmobile driven by 36-year-old Patrick Bailey, of Durham.
Police say Bailey tried to avoid the crash but was unable to avoid a collision. Both vehicles went down an embankment.
Hemphill was trapped inside his vehicle and had to be extricated by firefighters. He was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead a short time later.
Hemphill was a student at Jordan High School in Durham.
Bailey was taken to the hospital for non-life threatening injuries.
The accident remains under investigation.
Speed and alcohol do not appear to be factors in the accident.
north carolina news, durham county news, accident, local/state
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- ABC11 channel changes
- Duke senior killed in Florida crash
- Sinclair trial to resume Monday at Fort Bragg
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Girl allegedly begged Richardson not to hurt her
- Three schools consolidated into one at Ft. Bragg
- I-Team investigates coal ash ponds on Cape Fear River
- Police: Man who solicited sex from teen charged
- No. 7 Duke escapes against Clemson, 63-62
- NC State upsets Syracuse 66-63
- Pittsburgh beats No. 15 UNC 80-75