Roy Cooper concerned about military scams
FORT BRAGG, N.C. (WTVD) -- A trip to Ft. Bragg Tuesday completed a state military installation tour for North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper, who says our servicemen and women are among the most vulnerable when it comes to consumer scams.
That's because there's a guaranteed paycheck and benefits that scammers are just waiting to take advantage of.
The AG and his staff are pointing out red flag business practices. They include some of the more obvious like subprime lending, and also tuition rates for certain educational institutions.
Cooper spoke about one from certain car lots that have been reported in recent years.
"People have offered to take a soldier to a car lot, and it's usually a lot farther away than the soldier anticipates it to be, and they put a lot of pressure on them to buy and even threatening not to give the soldier a ride back to the base when the soldier may have to get back," Cooper explained.
Cooper did point out that most businesses in the Fayetteville area value their relationship with Ft. Bragg, but there will always be the scammers preying on these military families.
The information from Tuesday's session is available on the state department of justice site ncdoj.gov.
north carolina news, fort bragg news, fayetteville news, roy cooper, local/state
- Army helicopter crash victim from Triangle 20 min ago
- Will 'Anchorman 2' live up to the hype?
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
- Bradley Cooper happy to be sober
- Crawleigh could affect school start times 36 min ago
- UNC guard McDonald cleared by NCAA 17 min ago
- Bipartisan budget agreement clears Congress
- Laurence Lovette denied change of venue for murder trial
- Video: Local family is truly home for the holiday 11 min ago
- Police recover stolen storm grates
- Hero guide dog assured good home after NY rescue
- Ga. woman has 1 of 2 winning lottery tickets
- Photos: Most fascinating people of 2013
- Film, TV productions spend $250 million in NC
- UNC guard McDonald cleared by NCAA
8 min ago
- Local family is truly home for the holiday
11 min ago
- Consumer Alert: Online dating scams
27 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help