500 Fort Bragg troops to deploy to Afghanistan
FORT BRAGG, N.C. (WTVD) -- The Department of Defense announced Tuesday that XVIII Airborne Corps will deploy in late January as part of the upcoming rotation of forces operating in Afghanistan.
"We have an important mission at a very important time in both our national military commitment to Afghanistan and in the history of Afghanistan," said Lt. Gen. Joe Anderson, commander of XVIII Airborne Corps and Fort Bragg. "The XVIII Airborne Corps 'Dragons' will assume a role in the International Security Assistance Forces' Joint Command (IJC) that allows us to continue helping the Afghans improve their long-term prospects for stability."
The Corps will deploy approximately 500 paratroopers to serve within the IJC headquarters and U.S. Forces-Afghanistan.
The XVIII Airborne Corps most recently returned from a deployment to Iraq in December of 2011, where they were responsible for closing down bases in Iraq.
A Fort Bragg spokesman says their mission to Afghanistan this time will be very similar to winding down operations in Iraq.
"We have a lot of equipment there. A lot of things to move," said 18th Airborne Corp Spokesman Col. Kevin Arata. "The difference is going to be in this case there were different ways we have to move things in Iraq. We had a port where we could get equipment out. We don't have that luxury in Afghanistan. So there is more of a challenge."
The 82nd Sustainment Brigade, with approximately 100 soldiers, will also deploy.
north carolina news, cumberland county news, fort bragg news, local/state
- Family, police at odds over Huerta vigil violence
- One dead, one hurt in Carrboro shooting
- 'Duck Dynasty' family calls show's future into question
- Flight delayed 2 hours for pilot's sandwich delivery
- Critical spacewalk set for Saturday
- Senate leader Harry Reid released from hospital
- Utah Attorney General to challenge end to gay marriage ban
- P.J. Hairston off the team at UNC
- Fury and frustration over Target data breach
- Power play lifts Capitals past Carolina, 4-2Hurricanes surge... 39 min ago
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Lawmakers get legal help with NC marriage case
- Community rallies around couple after fire
- Foul weather threatens to snarl holiday travel
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help