Fundraiser held for Hedgepeth scholarship fund
DURHAM (WTVD) -- Friends of slain UNC student Faith Hedgepeth held a fundraiser Thursday evening on what would have been her 21st birthday.
Crowded tables, smiling faces and two special birthdays were all around on a night to raise money for education.
"It's also my daughter's birthday," said Faith's sister, Rolanda Hedgepeth. "She was born on Faith's birthday. So she wanted to be here."
Rolanda says it's what Faith would have wanted on her 21st birthday -- friends and family gathered at the Red Robin restaurant in Durham where she once worked.
"She was very bubbly, very bubbly," said Rolanda. "She had a lot of customers that really liked her. I think everybody misses her."
Thursday evening, six of the Triangle's Red Robin restaurants donated 15 percent of their proceeds to a scholarship fund in Faith's honor.
"It's for incoming freshman and they have to be Native American with a tribe affiliated with this state," said Rolanda.
The scholarship was established shortly after Faith's death last year. That's when the 19-year-old UNC junior's friend found her body inside her off-campus apartment. The crime sent shockwaves through Chapel Hill.
Police have a profile for the suspect, and even DNA evidence, but they haven't arrested anyone yet.
"If you have any information please come forward," said Rolanda. "Any little thing whether it's big or small could help."
There is a $39,000 reward for information leading to an arrest in the case.
Anyone with information about Faith's death, is asked to call the Chapel Hill Police Department tip line at (919) 614-6363 or Crimestoppers at (919) 942-7515.
north carolina news, durham county news, unc, homicide, local/state, fred shropshire
- Barber, 11 others guilty in Moral Monday protests
- 'Tipsforjesus' leaving thousands in tips
- Does bathing in vitamin C water improve health?
- Family says Nelson Mandela on 'deathbed'
- 2 dead, 1 wounded in shooting near NC college 1 min ago
- Fayetteville bank robber sought 30 min ago
- Tata blames environmentalists for bridge woes
- NC has fewer teachers and more students
- Float banned from Clayton Christmas parade
- NC State beats Northwestern 69-48 8 min ago
- Autopsy: Actor died from impact, fire in crash
- Student arrested with loaded gun at Durham high school
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- Group tasked with keeping kids safe at school
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help