Defense rests in headmaster sexual harassment trial
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- The defense has rested in the trial of a former school headmaster in Raleigh.
Brandon Smith, the former administrator at Zebulon's East Wake Academy, is charged with sexually harassing two teachers who work there.
It was a day of allegation after allegation as the defense attacked the credibility of the alleged victims == saying the two teachers changed their stories.
The defense believes one of the women was afraid of losing her job, and that's why she made sexual battery claims against Smith, her former boss.
That alleged victim had even made allegations that another teacher -- a woman.
During testimony earlier this week, the alleged victims told the jury about Smith pulling down their pants to see a tattoo, and Smith becoming aroused when he hugged them.
However, defense attorneys say when the women first met with the detective they never mentioned that.
Smith was fired in March 2012 after the women made the allegations. He faces two counts of sexual battery and assault on a female.
Smith tried to sue his accusers for slander in civil court, but the case was dismissed. A counter suit filed by the women against Smith and the school's board is still pending.
Smith's defense has charged that the accuser's stories keep changing. They've questioned why one of the women waited to report the alleged harassment.
Closing arguments will begin Friday.
wake county news, raleigh news, north carolina news, local/state
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- No. 7 Duke beats NC State 75-67
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- N.C. Central beats Morgan St. for MEAC title
- Workers sift through rubble for clues to NYC blast
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- Man shot, killed at Willow Springs bar
- Woman found unconscious behind the wheel in Durham
- Power knocked out to hundreds after car hits power pole
- Sheriff: Wendell couple killed in murder-suicide