EPA workers in RTP affected by gov't shutdown
RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK, N.C. (WTVD) -- The Environmental Protection Agency is one federal agency that will feel the impact of the government shutdown. .
Workers at the EPA in Research Triangle Park showed up to work Monday morning only to get their formal notices following the midnight shutdown.
The president of the local chapter that organizes government employees says only about two dozen of the 1,500 employees will be working or on call.
Not only are families hit hard, including some who are living paycheck to paycheck, but the union president says the EPA might not be able to respond as quickly to a local environmental hazard.
"Well, I don't know if that assurance can be given completely. We do have employees who are identified as exempted across the country...and then we have employees who are here, who are not here but who can come back if there's an emergency in the building. But that's only limited to specific action taking place. Otherwise, they're furloughed like the rest of us," said AFGE Local 3347 President Silvia Saracco,
Saracco says employees want to work and want to come back.
The furlough will likely also have an impact on local businesses, such as restaurants that depend on RTP workers for their lunch rush.
north carolina news, research triangle park news, local/state
- Winter weather possible for some northern areas
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Don't worry, guacamole safe from climate change
- Airline passenger leaves nasty note for pilot
- Man accused of taking doctor's identity surrenders
- Durham crime numbers show mixed results
- Sinclair to face 15 year sentence, plea offer accepted
- NCCU students take part in Match Madness
- NC terror suspect says he's being tortured
- Man charged in fatal hit-and-run gets lower bond
- Road rage incident leads to gun being shown
- Coach K released from hospital after game
- More evidence presented in Teghan Skiba murder case
- EU slaps initial sanctions on Russia
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help