Freeport police shoot, kill suspect during gunfight
FREEPORT, TX -- Freeport police say a suspect was shot and killed during a gunfight with officers Tuesday evening.
Police received a call around 6:55pm about shots fired in the 700 block of West 6th Street. Officers responded to the scene, and as they were talking to witnesses, one of them pointed out the suspect's vehicle as it drove by.
Officers followed the vehicle to the intersection of Cedar and West 8th Street and ordered the suspect to show his hands but he refused. As officers opened the suspect's car door, he pointed a gun at them and opened fire.
At least three officers fired their guns back, and the suspect was shot and killed. None of the officers were injured.
The incident is being investigated by Brazoria County Sheriff's Office and the Texas Rangers, and the Freeport Police Department is assisting in the investigation.
Right now, police are not releasing the name of the suspect. He's been described only as a Hispanic male between the ages of 20 and 25.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Winter weather possible for some northern areas
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Don't worry, guacamole safe from climate change
- Airline passenger leaves nasty note for pilot
- Man accused of taking doctor's identity surrenders
- Durham crime numbers show mixed results
- Sinclair to face 15 year sentence, plea offer accepted
- NCCU students take part in Match Madness
- NC terror suspect says he's being tortured
- Man charged in fatal hit-and-run gets lower bond
- Road rage incident leads to gun being shown
- Coach K released from hospital after game
- More evidence presented in Teghan Skiba murder case
- EU slaps initial sanctions on Russia
abc11.com News Links
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help