Grand jury indicts Grant Hayes' wife, Amanda, in Laura Ackerson murder
RALEIGH, N.C. (WTVD) -- A Wake County grand jury has issued a new indictment that adds an "accessory after the fact of murder" charge against Grant Hayes' wife, Amanda.
It comes almost a month after eight women and four men found Grant Hayes guilty of first-degree murder in the killing and dismemberment of Laura Ackerson - who was the mother of his two oldest children.
Superior Court Judge Donald Stephens immediately sentenced Hayes to life in prison following the Sept. 16 verdict.
Hayes - aka Grant Haze - was charged - along with Amanda - with murdering the 27-year-old at their Raleigh apartment in July, 2011 during a long-running custody dispute. Prosecutors say they chopped up Ackerson's body, put it in coolers, and then drove them in a rented U-Haul to Amanda Hayes' sister's house in Richmond, Texas, where the body parts were dumped in a nearby creek.
Hayes and his wife are being tried separately. Prosecutors are not seeking the death penalty. Amanda Hayes is expected to go on trial next year.
wake county news, homicide, north carolina news, raleigh news, local/state
- Bicycle Man's legacy lives on
- Family, police at odds over Huerta vigil violence
- One dead, one hurt in Carrboro shooting
- 'Duck Dynasty' family calls show's future into question
- State gives OK for possum drop celebration in NC 17 min ago
- San Francisco transit, union leaders reach deal
- Target offers apology discount this weekend
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- AAA Carolinas expects record travel by Tar Heels
- Things you didn't know about reindeer
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- US holiday travelers brace for foul, wet weather
- Obama skips out of Washington for Hawaii vacation
- Man with Down syndrome learns he's...
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help