Sign takes aim at GOP's stance on education
RALEIGH, N.C. (WTVD) -- A sign posted near a local elementary school took aim at the state's Republican leaders - saying the GOP targeted teachers.
The sign was posted along St. Mary's Street on Tuesday near Wiley Elementary, and it stayed posted until Wednesday afternoon.
The sign read "we hate teachers," signed the N.C. GOP and singled out the state's budget director by giving the phone number 1-888-ART-POPE.
Whoever is responsible for posting the sign has yet to come forward.
The GOP released a statement that the sign does not speak for the Republican Party.
When ABC11 called 1-888-ART-POPE, there was a recording for an unrelated financial institution.
The N.C. Association of Educators denies any involvement and said they are unaware of who is behind the sign.
Justin Guillory with Progress N.C. said his organization wasn't behind the sign either, but he said he isn't surprised by the political message given the way teachers have been treated by the state's Republican-led legislature.
"I think Art Pope has been a lightning rod, and in some ways he's sort of the personification of the extreme conservative takeover of state government," Guillory said.
ABC11 reached out to Pope about the sign. He told us he didn't have time to respond to an anonymous organization posting a random sign with his name on it.
"This doesn't even merit a response," Pope said.
He went on to say that his record speaks for itself when it comes to his position on education in the state.
north carolina news, wake county news, raleigh news, local/state, caitlin knute
- ABC11 food drive makes sure no one goes hungry
- Woman claws her way out of locked bathroom
- Pope Francis is Time's Person of the Year
- Man arrested in death of SC mayor's brother in law
- Man charged with stealing names, SS numbers from soldiers
- Man struck, killed on I-95 in Selma
- Shearon Harris back in operation
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- Appeal to be heard in Jason Young case
- Police: Teen in custody shot himself
- Pilot who crashed at SFO worried about landing
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Prosecutor: no domestic charges against Zimmerman
- Wake schools bus shows up hours late
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help