Durham school board to look at Superintendent Becoats credit card use
DURHAM (WTVD) -- Durham County School Board Chairwoman Heidi Carter told ABC11 Tuesday that she's calling a special meeting to discuss the use of a district-issued credit card by Superintendent Eric Becoats.
The move came after a spending records request by the Durham Herald Sun newspaper that detailed what the card was used for. Carter said the credit card has been suspended while the board looks at specific items and spending patterns. She did not elaborate.
Carter said the meeting will probably be held Monday.
Carter said the board has not heard Becoats' side of the story, and the meeting will be his opportunity to tell it.
She also said the board wants stronger controls over the superintendent's spending and credit cards. "DPS is experiencing budget austerity and the board wants to make sure that every penny is spent with pupils in mind," said Carter.
It's not the first time there's been friction between the board and Becoats. In August, he was reprimanded for inappropriately using a district school bus to shuttle family and friends to personal events. Becoats apologized and paid for the use of the bus.
north carolina news, durham county news, local/state
- Police issue warning about Huerta vigil 10 min ago
- 'Duck Dynasty' star on hiatus after anti-gay comments
- Photos: Clinton is Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating
- Whole Foods will stop selling Chobani
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse 1 min ago
- Target security breach affects up to 40M cards 8 min ago
- NC ferry towed from sandbar after running aground 34 min ago
- NCCU new head football coach named 57 min ago
- Camp director facing child porn charges
- Could Becoats' future be in jeopardy?
- Troxler endorses Tillis for Senate primary in NC
- Trial for Army general facing sex charges delayed
- Panthers 1 win from ending playoff drought
- Lawyer details new evidence in Ackerson murder
- NCCU new head football coach named
39 min ago
- Police issue warning about Huerta vigil
55 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help