Knightdale woman found covered in flag
KNIGHTDALE, N.C. (WTVD) -- A search warrant made public Wednesday says police found the body of a Knightdale woman covered in an American flag.
Police were called to the Alta Legacy Oaks apartment complex on Baxter Lane around 3 p.m. Sunday to check on the welfare of 55-year-old Seanne Winters Barnette. When officers arrived, they found her dead inside the apartment.
The warrant says the police were alerted after Barnette's brother - 70-year-old John Wesley Winters, Jr. - was found in her disabled vehicle by the Virginia State Patrol. He had injuries and was in a confused mental state. Winters was initially transported to Sentara Hospital in Woodbridge, Virginia for medical evaluation. He has since been charged in connection with the theft of the vehicle.
Knightdale police have named him a suspect in Barnette's death.
Police Wednesday declined to comment on the contents of the search warrant. They said they were waiting for the results of a preliminary autopsy and discussions with prosecutors before proceeding with the case.
north carolina news, wake county news, local/state
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- No. 7 Duke beats NC State 75-67
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- N.C. Central beats Morgan St. for MEAC title
- Workers sift through rubble for clues to NYC blast
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- Man shot, killed at Willow Springs bar
- Woman found unconscious behind the wheel in Durham
- Power knocked out to hundreds after car hits power pole
- Sheriff: Wendell couple killed in murder-suicide