Body found in convenience store's A/C system
DURHAM (WTVD) -- Durham police and emergency crews spent much of Wednesday trying to remove the remains of a man stuck in a building's air conditioning system.
It happened at the former Town 'n Country convenience store in the 3700 block of Fayetteville Street, across from Hillside High School.
It appeared that the man died after getting trapped inside the duct work while trying to break into the store, which closed several months ago.
Insurance adjusters were on the roof of the building when they made the discovery and called 911.
Caller: "We're at the Town 'n Country at the convenient store. It's closed down. We're the insurance company and we went up on the roof to check & they got a claim for some stuff for copper for the units. We went up on the roof, and there appears to be part of a dead body up here."
Dispatcher: "It's a human body?"
Caller: "Yea. All we can see is the legs, the feet and the socks and it appears to be a human body. If not, it's a really good model but it looks old and dilapidated, like it's been there awhile."
There's still no word on the man's identity.
north carolina news, durham county news, local/state
- Temps plummet, chance of freezing rain Sunday
- Photos: Meet the New Bachelor Contestants
- Photos: Raleigh Winterfest Celebration 2013-2014
- Raleigh police investigate homicide
- Rabies alert in Wake County
- Durham hosts Special Olympic bowlers
- Up to 50 vehicles collide in deadly Pennsylvania Turnpike crash
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- South Africans pray for Mandela
- Nasty weather hits several NFL games
- In 2nd week, 'Frozen' tops box office with $31.6M
- Brees sharp, Saints beat Panthers 31-13
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help