Many transportation options available for fairgoers
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Thousands of people crowded the State Fairgounds in Raleigh Friday evening.
The State Highway patrol says from now until next Sunday you can expect the fair's surrounding area to be hectic and chaotic. They've brought more than 80 troopers in to help with this fair influx.
"Yeah it does get kind of frustrating," said fairgoer Keith Johnson.
"The traffic is terrible it really is," said fairgoer Jasmine Petway.
The ride to arrive at the fair can be a long one. There are traffic build-ups and roadways clogged with rows of idling cars
"We're trying to drown out the pain of just sitting here with music," said fairgoer Jason Bryant.
People spend endless minutes on end trying to get to fair, and then have to search for a spot to park the car.
"We haven't found a parking space yet, but it probably will take us 30 or 40 minutes," said fairgoer Winston Chan.
To avoid bottlenecked traffic, the Highway Patrol has some suggestions. Coming from the west, the department suggests taking Wade Avenue and then the Edwards Mills exit. From the east, drivers should use Interstate 440 and get off at Wade Avenue or Hillsborough Street.
"If you don't have to be around the fair, make other arrangements, or make other routes that you can travel around there because it is going to be congested," said Sgt. Jeff Gordon, with the State Highway Patrol.
However, for many people, the congestion is worth it.
"Being able to take the kids out and have great time at the fair. So, I'm glad to be here," said Johnson.
So if you don't feel like sitting in traffic, there are other options to get to fair including Amtrak trains and local bus systems.
A fair official says that, especially for the weekend, the bus is the best pick because there are designated bus lanes that will bring you to the fair faster.
north carolina news, wake county news, nc state fair, raleigh news, local/state, elaina athans
- Authorities investigating fatal shooting 13 min ago
- 'Duck Dynasty' star on hiatus after anti-gay comments
- Photos: Clinton is Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating
- Whole Foods will stop selling Chobani
- Authorities investigating shooting at gas station 13 min ago
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Target security breach affects up to 40M cards
- FAA reveals what caused Southwest flight to plummet
- 30 injured as bus overturns on California freeway
- No. 8 Duke beats UCLA 80-63
- NCCU new head football coach named
- NC ferry towed from sandbar after running aground
- Camp director facing child porn charges
- Troxler endorses Tillis for Senate primary in NC
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help