Gas tanker overturned in Wilson County
LUCAMA, N.C. (WTVD) -- A gas tanker overturned in Wilson County on US 301 Saturday night.
Authorities said a Sheetz tanker heading northbound on Highway 301 toward Lucama hit a utility pole and overturned around 10 p.m. Saturday.
The highway was closed in both directions between Lloyd Road Aycocks Crossing Road while hazmat crews poured foam to clean it up Saturday night. At 5:30 a.m. Sunday, crews were still offloading fuel to a new tanker in order to remove the overturned tanker.
The tanker reportedly was carrying about 8,700 gallons of fuel. Officials estimated 600-800 gallons leaked onto the ground.
No homes were evacuated and crews were cleared by 7 a.m. Sunday.
The driver sustained minor injuries and was taken to Wilson Medical Center. Authorities said speed was not a factor in the crash, but he was cited with careless and reckless driving.
Wilson Co Emergency Management is working with a clean-up crew to have the contaminated soil removed.
north carolina news, wilson county news, local/state
- ABC11 food drive makes sure no one goes hungry
- Woman claws her way out of locked bathroom
- Pope Francis is Time's Person of the Year
- Man arrested in death of SC mayor's brother in law
- Man charged with stealing names, SS numbers from soldiers
- Man struck, killed on I-95 in Selma
- Shearon Harris back in operation
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- Appeal to be heard in Jason Young case
- Police: Teen in custody shot himself
- Pilot who crashed at SFO worried about landing
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Prosecutor: no domestic charges against Zimmerman
- Wake schools bus shows up hours late
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help