Cary youth pastor faces new child sex charges
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- A former youth pastor from Cary faced new child sex charges Monday after apparently being caught off-guard by his arrest over the weekend.
Josh Wheeless appeared bewildered by the additional charges, and told that to a judge Monday afternoon at the Wake County Justice Center.
"I'm, I'm just kind of confused about this whole thing ... I bonded out on one of these charges less than three weeks ago, so I'm kind of confused like where my attorney is," said Wheeless.
The 28-year-old was apparently confused because he was first arrested after a Cary father called police back in July. The father said Wheeless had talked his 16-year-old daughter into sending him a text message with a nude picture of herself. That resulted in a first-degree sexual exploitation of a minor charge.
However, after further investigation, Wheeless has been thrown back in jail on similar charges.
Wheeless' attorney was not in court, but the judge told him to talk to his attorney about the new developments.
"A grand jury has indicted you, sir," said Wake District Court Judge Keith Gregory.
The indictment came after a Cary investigator told grand jurors he discovered another picture of the 16-year-old victim while searching Wheeless' home. He also claims to have found a picture of another young teen girl engaged in sex on Wheeless' computer. However, police say it appear Wheeless downloaded that from a third party.
Nonetheless, unless Wheeless can convince a judge to reduce his $250,000 bond, he could be in jail even longer this time than he was the first time around.
north carolina news, wake county news, local/state
- Vigil for Jesus Huerta takes violent turn
- 'Duck Dynasty' star on hiatus after anti-gay comments
- Photos: Clinton is Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating
- Whole Foods will stop selling Chobani
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Target security breach affects up to 40M cards
- FAA reveals what caused Southwest flight to plummet
- 30 injured as bus overturns on California freeway
- No. 8 Duke beats UCLA 80-63
- NCCU new head football coach named
- NC ferry towed from sandbar after running aground
- Camp director facing child porn charges
- Troxler endorses Tillis for Senate primary in NC
- Trial for Army general facing sex charges delayed
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help