Fire tears through Durham hotel
DURHAM (WTVD) -- Flames tore through a Durham motel late Wednesday night, prompting evacuations.
The fire started around 10 p.m. at the Days Inn in the 3400 block of Hillsborough Road, near the Durham Freeway and Interstate 85.
Video from the scene showed flames near the hotel's courtyard with thick smoke in the air.
Firefighters went door to door to make sure everyone got out safely.
No one was injured.
Crews were able to get the fire under control around 11 p.m.
Fire officials said the cause is still unknown but did say the fire started in a first floor breezeway and quickly spread to the roof of the two-story building. No rooms were affected.
Authorities also said mattresses in the hotel's breezeway fuelled the fire. The hotel was reportedly in the processes of changing their mattresses, which was why they were in the walkway.
Meanwhile, hotel guests have not been allowed back into the rooms, and were relocated to other nearby motels and hotels.
north carolina news, durham county news, fire, local/state
- Vigil for Jesus Huerta takes violent turn
- 'Duck Dynasty' star on hiatus after anti-gay comments
- Photos: Clinton is Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating
- Whole Foods will stop selling Chobani
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Target security breach affects up to 40M cards
- FAA reveals what caused Southwest flight to plummet
- 30 injured as bus overturns on California freeway
- No. 8 Duke beats UCLA 80-63
- NCCU new head football coach named
- NC ferry towed from sandbar after running aground
- Camp director facing child porn charges
- Troxler endorses Tillis for Senate primary in NC
- Trial for Army general facing sex charges delayed
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help