Interstate 40/I-440 repaving project in Raleigh underway this week
RALEIGH, N.C. (WTVD) -- The North Carolina Department of Transportation says its project to rebuild an 11 and a half mile stretch of I-40 and I-440 begins this week. Drivers will see night lane closures, which will be followed with some daytime lane closures beginning in early December.
Dubbed "Crawleigh" in anticipation of major traffic headaches for drivers, the DOT has a new website for project information.
During the first stage of the work, I-440 from the I-40, U.S. 64, and I-440 interchange, known as "the 40 split," to just north of the U.S. 64/264 Knightdale Bypass will be repaired.
The DOT said daytime lane closures for stage 2 - rebuilding I-40 - are scheduled to begin by late 2014, when crews will replace the pavement from U.S. 1/64 all the way to the I-40 split. The entire project is scheduled to wrap up by the fall of 2016.
Officials say the highway is used by about 100,000 vehicles every day. The DOT said it hopes to get about 30,000 vehicles off the road during heavy commute times by encouraging alternative routes, work schedule time shifting, and more use of public transportation.
The 30 year old highway is breaking down because of a chemical reaction triggered by water mixing with a substance used in the original paving work. The DOT says the road can't simply be patched. It must be torn up and replaced.
north carolina news, raleigh news, wake county news, i40, i440, local/state
- Governor declares emergency in North Carolina
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Man to go to trial over Girl Scout cookie purchase
- US employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather
- Veteran robbed, assaulted in home
- Missing Maryland girl found in South Carolina
- Accuser gives sexually explicit, emotional testimony
- Woman injured after jumping from car
- NC Sen. Nesbitt service Tuesday in home county
- River water above NC spill high in iron, aluminum
- I-Team: Congress concerned about VA data breach
- Things to do if you have 36 hours in Raleigh
- Testimony reveals Richardson suffered years of abuse
- Rangers rally past Hurricanes 4-2
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help