Bus fares to increase in the Triangle
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- People who ride the bus in the Triangle will soon be paying more for their ride.
The increase could really hurt people who depend on public transportation to get around.
The bus has always been known as a cheaper way to get around if you are on a tight budget, but for some, that budget may get even tighter if fares go up as transit officials are hoping.
"Well, I mean, they have to understand that we are not in the northern states. This is a southern state and a lot of people are still struggling," said a Triangle Transit bus rider.
Triangle Transit and Capital Area Transit are hoping to increase fares by 50 cents next year and by another 50 cents the following year for a day pass.
Ida Sharpe gets to travel within Raleigh every day for $2.
"I think two dollars is fair for an all day ride. If I get off work and I have somewhere else I have to go, I can ride the bus from the a.m. bus to the p.m.," said Sharpe.
For some, a one time cash fare would only go up a quarter.
"A quarter wouldn't be too bad, I don't think. But I think it's fair to be $2 base. I think everybody can afford the two dollars," she added.
However, for others, any hike seems too high.
"For some people, it may be too much if you budgeted your unemployment, disability, social security, what have you, and a quarter may take you over the budget," said a Triangle Transit bus rider.
Transit officials said they have been able to keep fares consistent for almost a decade but need more money to keep up with operating costs and to improve bus services and facilities.
Transit officials will be holding some public workshops starting next week. They have already put signs around the bus depots. They are hoping to get riders input and public approval.
north carolina news, durham county news, raleigh news, wake county news, local/state
- Woman speaks out about Clayton group home
- ABC11 channel changes
- Reports of rashes spur Fitbit recall
- Wrestler loses championship, wins crowd over
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Philly
- Skiba's mom says Richardson murdered daughter
- Durham school bus involved in accident
- Man killed by falling tree in Chapel Hill
- Police: Man who solicited sex from teen charged
- Official: Airliner communications shut down separately
- Hurricanes rally to beat Sabres 4-2
- NC State tops Miami 67-58 in ACC tourney
- Emails show close ties between Duke, NC regulators
- Teen faces sexting charges following social media mistake