Free Starbucks coffee idea goes viral
RALEIGH, N.C. (WTVD) -- Sunny Myers is a busy mother of two. A few days ago she was having one of those weeks.
"I had a really bad parenting in the trenches kind of day," she explained. "I was very frustrated Wednesday [and then] woke up Thursday morning, got an email from my twins' teacher."
She stopped at her local Starbucks and had an idea.
"It was a totally selfish feel good thing," she recalled.
She had money on her Starbucks card app.
"Buying a couple people some coffee makes me feel better, so let's see what happens," Myers recalled thinking.
She added more money and posted it to Facebook and Instagram and told people to take it, share it, and enjoy.
"Next thing you know, people are reloading it. They are paying it forward, buying it for strangers, reloading the card again," said Myers.
And they're posting pictures of themselves enjoying their Starbucks and it's spreading everywhere.
"Somebody's in Chicago, somebody's been in LA, Arizona. A girl just got in she was a missionary from Uganda and stepped off the plane and got one," said Myers.
People keep putting money on the card for others to enjoy. They're calling it "Operation Red Cup."
"What a great idea. Consider the card reloaded. New balance $41.98 #operationredcup," wrote Ashley Boyer.
"I'm a believer and I definitely feel that Jesus called and teaches us to love each other," said Myers.
And though it's just a Starbucks coffee in a red cup, little acts of kindness can turn things around.
"It was more about doing something for somebody," said Myers "Just to make people feel loved."
Myers encourages more people to enjoy the card and pay it forward. Follow her on Instagram at: http://instagram.com/twosmartypants#
north carolina news, raleigh news, local/state, anna laurel
- Woman speaks out about Clayton group home
- ABC11 channel changes
- Reports of rashes spur Fitbit recall
- Wrestler loses championship, wins crowd over
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Philly
- Skiba's mom says Richardson murdered daughter
- Durham school bus involved in accident
- Man killed by falling tree in Chapel Hill
- Police: Man who solicited sex from teen charged
- Official: Airliner communications shut down separately
- Hurricanes rally to beat Sabres 4-2
- NC State tops Miami 67-58 in ACC tourney
- Emails show close ties between Duke, NC regulators
- Teen faces sexting charges following social media mistake