Pregnant military wife loses everything to robbers in North Carolina
VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WTVD) -- A pregnant woman moving to be closer to her fiancé who's in the military has lost everything she owns after her U-Haul was stolen in Robeson County south of Fayetteville.
Kim Ober told WAVY-TV she couldn't wait to move from Florida to Virginia Beach to be with her fiancé who's stationed in Hampton Roads. So, she packed everything she owned into a U-Haul and left with a friend Saturday morning.
After hours behind the wheel, they pulled off at a hotel in Lumberton. After getting some rest, they walked back outside to find 30 years worth of belongings gone.
"I started thinking as sad and as heartbreaking at this is for me and my baby, their lives must be a lot sadder than mine right now if that's the type of life that they are living," Ober explained.
A short time later, police found the U-Haul in one county and the trailer carrying Ober's Jeep in another county - but everything had been torched.
Friends have donated clothes and given Ober gift cards. Other friends have started an online fundraising page to get her back on her feet.
north carolina news, robeson county news, local/state
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh 55 min ago
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- ABC11 channel changes
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Woman found unconscious behind the wheel in Durham
- Power knocked out to hundreds after car hits power pole
- Sheriff: Wendell couple killed in murder-suicide
- Crews battle large apartment complex fire
- Duke senior killed in Florida crash
- Sinclair trial to resume Monday at Fort Bragg
- Girl allegedly begged Richardson not to hurt her
- Three schools consolidated into one at Ft. Bragg
- I-Team investigates coal ash ponds on Cape Fear River