Gas leak prompts evacuations in Raleigh
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Several homes in Raleigh were evacuated as a precaution Monday because of a gas leak.
Just before noon, a contractor digging in the 1100 block of Dogwood Lane at Redbud Lane hit a two-inch gas line, according to officials with PSNC Energy.
A police officer smelled "heavy gas" in the area just off of Wade Avenue and the Ridgewood Shopping Center, prompting officials to evacuate a few homes as a precaution.
It took crews over an hour to shut off the leak and repair the line.
Dogwood Lane between Redbud Lane and Wade Avenue had to be blocked as PSNC worked to clear the scene.
north carolina news, wake county news, raleigh news, local/state
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- No. 7 Duke beats NC State 75-67
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- N.C. Central beats Morgan St. for MEAC title
- Workers sift through rubble for clues to NYC blast
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- Man shot, killed at Willow Springs bar
- Woman found unconscious behind the wheel in Durham
- Power knocked out to hundreds after car hits power pole
- Sheriff: Wendell couple killed in murder-suicide