Suspected drunk driver crashes into skating rink
RALEIGH, N.C. (WTVD) -- A suspected drunk driver came barreling into the Jellybeans Skate Center in Cary Sunday afternoon.
Police say Benjamin Watts, 28, is facing DWI charges after a high-speed chase that began on Nottingham Drive ended at the skate rink around 5:15 p.m.
Officers first saw Watts driving his Ford Bronco at high speeds and started to follow him. That's when police say he barreled into the rink's parking lot, hit the building, jumped out of his car, and ran before being arrested.
No injuries were reported. Luckily, the skate rink had closed at 5 p.m.
An inspector came and checked out the building, and said it was safe to reopen. However, the crash caused about $15,000 worth of damage.
Watts went before a magistrate Sunday night and admitted he had too much to drink.
"About ugh four beers...it was totally out of my character and I shouldn't have done [it]," he said.
Still, Watts said it was not him behind the wheel, and that a friend was driving his car.
"It was some guy I met over there at the train station," he said.
Watts is facing several charges, including resisting arrest and obstructing justice.
He is currently being held at the Wake County Detention Center and will head to court Monday.
north carolina news, local/state
- Crews battle large apartment complex fire 14 min ago
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- ABC11 channel changes
- Police: Man who solicited sex from teen charged
- Residents told of arsenic in water
- Community comes together to fight for Maddison 30 min ago
- Arrest warrants issued in Gates Four shooting
- Former sailor in iconic WWII photo dies
- Jeopardy! Clue Crew visits Raleigh
- ACC tournament to move to New York?
- Quiznos files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection
- New Scrabble words sought
- Three schools consolidated into one at Ft. Bragg
- Crews battle large apartment complex fire
13 min ago
- Two found dead in Johnston County home
17 min ago