Gun found at Durham's Riverside High School
DURHAM, N.C. (WTVD) -- A student was found with a gun at Riverside High School Wednesday, according to school officials.
They said law enforcement got an anonymous tip that a student had a handgun with him at school.
Deputies went to 16-year-old Steven Michael Carrera's classroom and took the loaded Leinad DD 45 pistol without incident. The ninth grader was then arrested. He is being held in the Durham County Jail under a $100,000 bond.
Officials say Carrera refuses to answer questions, and they do not know why he had the weapon.
No students were hurt and officials said the campus was secure.
north carolina news, durham county news, local/state
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- No. 7 Duke beats NC State 75-67
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- N.C. Central beats Morgan St. for MEAC title
- Workers sift through rubble for clues to NYC blast
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- Man shot, killed at Willow Springs bar
- Woman found unconscious behind the wheel in Durham
- Power knocked out to hundreds after car hits power pole
- Sheriff: Wendell couple killed in murder-suicide