Woman struck, killed by train in Durham
DURHAM (WTVD) -- A woman was hit and killed by a passing train in Durham Tuesday morning.
It happened around 7:30 a.m. at the Wrenn Road railroad crossing.
Durham Sheriff's Office Spokesman Paul Sherwin said the conductor of the train called in the accident after it happened.
The victim died at the scene, but authorities authorities have not released her identity.
"She is local," Sherwin said. "There was a vehicle nearby. We suspect that it's hers, and we're still working to confirm that."
"What we know right now is that a woman has been killed," Sherwin added. "We're withholding disclosure of her name until we're able to notify family members."
The Amtrak #73 Piedmont train was delayed as deputies looked for clues to the victim's death.
Last week, another person was struck and killed by a train near Plum Street -- about 3 miles west of Tuesday morning's accident.
north carolina news, durham county news, local/state
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds 47 min ago
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- No. 7 Duke beats NC State 75-67
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Workers sift through rubble for clues to NYC blast
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- Man shot, killed at Willow Springs bar
- Woman found unconscious behind the wheel in Durham
- Power knocked out to hundreds after car hits power pole
- Sheriff: Wendell couple killed in murder-suicide
- Crews battle large apartment complex fire
- Thousands of ladies come together for...
27 min ago
- Match Madness challenge: A chance to save a...
43 min ago
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
53 min ago