Woman struck, killed by train in Durham
DURHAM (WTVD) -- A woman was hit and killed by a passing train in Durham Tuesday morning.
It happened around 7:30 a.m. at the Wrenn Road railroad crossing.
Durham Sheriff's Office Spokesman Paul Sherwin said the conductor of the train called in the accident after it happened.
The victim died at the scene, but authorities authorities have not released her identity.
"She is local," Sherwin said. "There was a vehicle nearby. We suspect that it's hers, and we're still working to confirm that."
"What we know right now is that a woman has been killed," Sherwin added. "We're withholding disclosure of her name until we're able to notify family members."
The Amtrak #73 Piedmont train was delayed as deputies looked for clues to the victim's death.
Last week, another person was struck and killed by a train near Plum Street -- about 3 miles west of Tuesday morning's accident.
north carolina news, durham county news, local/state
- Teacher resignations up significantly in Wake Co. 42 min ago
- Blast on site of explosives plants kills 1
- Easter butter lamb gets 'pardon' at Buffalo market
- Confused, chaotic scene described on sinking ferry
- Persons of interest identified in Fayetteville shooting
- Pres. Obama shows skepticism on Russia in Ukraine
- DOT worker charged in officer's death
- Cooper, other lawyers resolve NC defamation case
- Police canvass area for information about rape suspect 34 min ago
- Police: Antiques store used to sell meth 25 min ago
- Hatchell: Star freshman DeShields leaving UNC
- Jabari Parker leaving Duke
- Photos: Outer Banks store burns
- Gov. Pat McCrory proposes help for vets
- Teacher resignations up significantly in...
56 min ago