Serial bank robbery suspect arrested in Durham
DURHAM (WTVD) -- A Durham man was arrested Tuesday afternoon and charged with robbing three Durham banks and attempting to rob a fourth.
Officers were called at about 2:45 p.m. to a robbery at BB&T in the 5000 block of North Roxboro Road. Police said a man entered the bank and handed a teller a note demanding money. He then fled with some cash.
Officers stopped a possible suspect, 59-year-old Wayne Leon Weeks, approximately 30 minutes later near the intersection of Valley Drive and Holt School Road.
Investigators have charged Weeks in connection with the following incidents as well as Tuesday's robbery:
- November 26 at Carter Bank & Trust, 4251 North Roxboro Street.
- December 4 at Yadkin Bank, 115 East Carver Street.
- December 5 at BB&T, 1107 NC 54 Highway. (Copyright ©2014 WTVD-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
north carolina news, durham county news, bank robbery, local/state
- Winter weather advisory issued for northern counties
- Match Madness challenge: A chance to save a life!
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession
- Final words from jet came after systems shutdown
- Duke stays close to home as No. 3 seed
- Tar Heels draw Providence in NCAA opener
- Iowa State ready to face North Carolina Central
- No. 6 UVa tops No. 7 Duke 72-63 for ACC title
- Church services remember those lost in NYC blast
- Newtown struggles to meet mental health demand
- US rejects Crimea vote, cites Russian intimidation
- NC to check Fayetteville police chief credentials
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos