Police seek help solving double murder
DURHAM, N.C. (WTVD) -- The Durham Police Department says two people are dead after a reported shooting in the 2200 block of Cheek Road.
Officers said they got the call just before 7 a.m. They found a woman dead in the home. A man was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead a short time later.
The two were later identified as 34-year-old Jerron McGirt and 33-year-old Jessica Liriano. Both lived at the house where they were found.
ABC11 has learned a baby was inside the home at the time of the murders, and that a scared friend may have called 911 reporting the shootings.
A frightened woman called 911 Monday morning, reporting that she was scared, and saying two people were shot, a mother of three and her boyfriend.
Investigators say they believe it was a double homicide.
"I was shocked, I'm still in a state of disbelief...they were such nice people...it reminds me that it doesn't matter who you are, things can happen anywhere," said neighbor Marshall Holloway.
Police said it was early in the investigation and they were working to find the motive. No charges have been filed.
Anyone with information is asked to call Investigator S. Pate at (919) 560-4440. ext. 29332 or CrimeStoppers at (919) 683-1200. CrimeStoppers pays cash rewards for information leading to arrests in felony cases and callers never have to identify themselves.
north carolina news, durham county news, shooting, homicide, local/state
- Police investigate shooting death as homicide 5 min ago
- FDA to regulate e-cigarettes
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
- Photos: 'That happened how?' Bizarre mix-ups
- Mother claims daughter assaulted on field trip
- 11 kids, driver hurt in Calif. school bus crash 37 min ago
- I-Team: Mom warns of shopping cart danger
- Public memorial service set for Danielle Locklear
- Local roofer banned from taking money up front
- New Georgia law makes it legal to carry weapons into bars,...
- Video: Historic NCSU building set for demolition
- Video: Bruce Springsteen fans gather for PNC Arena...
- Video: Critics call Georgia's new law the "guns...
- Lawmakers propose dumping Common Core