Police seek help solving double murder
DURHAM, N.C. (WTVD) -- The Durham Police Department says two people are dead after a reported shooting in the 2200 block of Cheek Road.
Officers said they got the call just before 7 a.m. They found a woman dead in the home. A man was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead a short time later.
The two were later identified as 34-year-old Jerron McGirt and 33-year-old Jessica Liriano. Both lived at the house where they were found.
ABC11 has learned a baby was inside the home at the time of the murders, and that a scared friend may have called 911 reporting the shootings.
A frightened woman called 911 Monday morning, reporting that she was scared, and saying two people were shot, a mother of three and her boyfriend.
Investigators say they believe it was a double homicide.
"I was shocked, I'm still in a state of disbelief...they were such nice people...it reminds me that it doesn't matter who you are, things can happen anywhere," said neighbor Marshall Holloway.
Police said it was early in the investigation and they were working to find the motive. No charges have been filed.
Anyone with information is asked to call Investigator S. Pate at (919) 560-4440. ext. 29332 or CrimeStoppers at (919) 683-1200. CrimeStoppers pays cash rewards for information leading to arrests in felony cases and callers never have to identify themselves.
north carolina news, durham county news, shooting, homicide, local/state
- Winter weather advisory issued for northern counties
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- Malaysia asks countries for data to help find jet
- Church services remember those lost in NYC blast
- Newtown struggles to meet mental health demand
- NC to check Fayetteville police chief credentials
- Former student fires BB gun inside high school
- Duke University senior killed in Florida crash
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- N.C. Central beats Morgan St. for MEAC title
- No. 7 Duke beats NC State 75-67
- Man shot, killed at Willow Spring bar 10 min ago