Private ferry runs aground, injures 14
SOUTHPORT, N.C. (WTVD) -- A private ferry serving Bald Head Island ran aground near the mouth of the Cape Fear River, injuring several passengers Tuesday morning.
The accident happened off Battery Island, between Bald Head Island and Southport.
Brunswick County's public information officer told ABC11 that 31 people were aboard the 64-foot "Adventure" when it departed Deep Point Marina around 9 a.m.
At least 14 people were injured, but none of the injuries were life-threatening.
All the passengers were taken back to Deep Point Marina on rescue boats. Those injured were then taken to local hospitals.
Initial reports indicated at least five people were thrown into the water, but those reports were later discounted by the company that runs the ferry.
The cause of the accident is under investigation.
north carolina news, local/state
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds 19 min ago
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- No. 7 Duke beats NC State 75-67
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Workers sift through rubble for clues to NYC blast
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- Man shot, killed at Willow Springs bar
- Woman found unconscious behind the wheel in Durham
- Power knocked out to hundreds after car hits power pole
- Sheriff: Wendell couple killed in murder-suicide
- Crews battle large apartment complex fire
- Thousands of ladies come together for...
1 min ago
- Match Madness challenge: A chance to save a...
15 min ago
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
25 min ago