NC photographer helps shelter dogs find a home
RALEIGH, N.C. (WTVD) -- A local photographer is making national headlines because of her snapshots of dogs from the Wake County Animal Shelter.
She tries to capture their personality so people can see the dog outside the stress of being in a shelter.
Sharon Johnstone does these doggy photo shoots at a Raleigh landfill because she says the dog she picks for the pictures are unwanted society's trash and she hopes her pictures help change that.
Johnstone picks up a dog from the Wake County Animal Shelter every week; dogs in danger of being euthanized.
"Most of them have been in there for at least 2 months," Johnstone said.
She takes the dogs to a landfill in North Raleigh.
"The thing that almost all of them love is they come out here and they sit, and they just like sniff, and the wind's blowing," Johnstone said.
"When we bring them out here they can just be who they are, and I hope to capture that in the pictures," she added.
It is a project Johnstone calls Landfill Dogs.
"These animals are quite literally trash, they're property, and they're not wanted anymore," Johnstone said.
"When the animals in Wake County are euthanized, they will end up in a landfill somewhere," she added.
So far, Johnstone has taken pictures of 78 dogs; 57 have been adopted.Click here for more information.
north carolina news, wake county news, raleigh news, local/state
- Suspect in Durham carjacking, crash sought 41 min ago
- Why married women cheat
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- Lindsay Lohan calls sex list 'humiliating'
- Avalanche sweeps down Everest, killing at least 12
- Woman's tax refund gobbled by unpaid tickets 55 min ago
- Police investigate meth lab near Clayton
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Mazda recalls 109,000 older SUVs for rust problem
- Duke's Rodney Hood to enter NBA Draft
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Bodie, Cape Hatteras lighthouses to open 19 min ago
- Raleigh police investigate home invasion
- Suspect in Durham carjacking, crash sought
41 min ago
- I-Team: Are crime alerts needed following...
37 min ago
- Woman's tax refund gobbled by unpaid tickets
54 min ago