Aberdeen Walmart briefly evacuated after suspect drops handgun
ABERDEEN, N.C. (WTVD) -- There was a tense situation at a Walmart store in Aberdeen Tuesday afternoon.
Aberdeen police say it all began when they responded to a theft call at the store in the 200 block of Turner Street.
While they were there, police observed 22-year-old Christian York, who had been banned from the store earlier.
Police confronted York, who fled. They chased him on foot, and he was apprehended.
During the chase, police say the suspect dropped a handgun in the store. Another suspect, who later was determined to be York's brother, 18-year-old Justin York, picked up the weapon.
The Walmart was evacuated as a precaution. Police searched the premises and viewed surveillance footage and determined that Justin York had left the store.
The Walmart reopened about 30 minutes after the incident began.
Both Christian and Justin York have been arrested.
north carolina news, moore county news, local/state
- Child killed in Johnston County crash
- Parents on smartphones ignore their kids, study finds
- Construction halted on controversial Raleigh home
- Thousands left in the dark due to outage
- Some recommendations approved for Chatham Park project
- Students describe aftermath of Ukrainian riots
- Raleigh shooting under investigation 55 min ago
- Judge: influence may have tainted Sinclair trial
- Dentist tells jurors he prayed child would die
- Elderly couple beaten, robbed in home
- Boaters rescued on Cape Fear River
- Stranded climber rescued from NC mountain
- Exercise highlights 440th Airlift Wing's importance
- Parts of Triangle still paralyzed by weather damage
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help