Camp Lejeune Marine killed in ambush
CAMP LEJEUENE, N.C. -- A Marine based out of Camp Lejeune has died in Afghanistan.
The Department of Defense said 27-year-old Sgt. Daniel M. Vasselian, of Abington, Mass., died Monday while conducting combat operations in Helmand province.
Vasselian was assigned to 1st Battalion, 9th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force.
No official details were released but Vasselian's family told the Associated Presss that he was killed in an ambush.
north carolina news, camp lejeune news, local/state
- Child killed in Johnston County crash
- Parents on smartphones ignore their kids, study finds
- Construction halted on controversial Raleigh home
- Thousands left in the dark due to outage
- Some recommendations approved for Chatham Park project
- Students describe aftermath of Ukrainian riots
- Raleigh shooting under investigation
- Judge: influence may have tainted Sinclair trial
- Dentist tells jurors he prayed child would die
- Elderly couple beaten, robbed in home
- Boaters rescued on Cape Fear River
- Stranded climber rescued from NC mountain
- Exercise highlights 440th Airlift Wing's importance
- Parts of Triangle still paralyzed by weather damage
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help