Student arrested with gun at Fayetteville school
FAYETTEVILLE (WTVD) -- The Cumberland County Sheriff's Office says a 15 year old was arrested at Ramsey Street Alternative School in Fayetteville Monday morning after he was found with a gun.
A school resource officer said the .32 automatic handgun was found in the pocket of the student's hoodie.
A magazine loaded with 8 rounds was found in the boy's pants pocket.
Officials said protocol at the alternative school requires all students be searched prior to reporting to their assigned classrooms.
"He had told the teachers that he had initially gone hunting over the weekend with some friends, and that he forgot to put the gun back up," said Debbie Tanna, with the Cumberland County Sheriff's Office. "It's just surprising how you wouldn't notice it when you put the hoodie on. It's very heavy."
The teen was taken to the Cumberland Regional Juvenile Detention Center. He's facing a felony charge of bringing a weapon onto a school campus.
Because the student was caught before entering the school, the campus was never put on lockdown and students went on to class as normal.
north carolina news, cumberland county news, fayetteville news, local/state, nicole carr
- Soggy, cool Saturday to start holiday weekend
- Woman narrowly escapes grocery store crash
- Why married women cheat
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- Shedding light on Clinton's health overhaul flop
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart 21 min ago
- Asia seeks Obama's assurance in territorial spats
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Sub search for missing jet to be finished in week
- NC woman to climb Kilimanjaro to focus on diabetes
- Cooper asks NC court to intervene in rate increase
- Warehouse fire cause explained
- At barricades, Ukraine insurgents await Easter
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche