One dead in shooting near Durham health center
DURHAM (WTVD) -- A man is dead in a shooting near the Lincoln Community Health Center on Linwood Avenue in Durham Tuesday morning.
Police have charged 36-year-old Richard Lee Johnson with murder. The victim has been identified as 33-year-old Antonio Dixon.
Police say the victim and the suspect knew each other and the incident was not a random act.
Police said the shooting did not involve the health center, which was briefly locked down during the incident.
People, however, were still rattled because the shooting in an outside stairwell was so loud they thought they were in the line of fire.
"It was horrifying," said eyewitness Amanda Seitter. "People [were] running out the door just trying to get out. I mean I don't think anybody knew really what was going on."
Two men seen running from the scene are no longer being sought because police say they did not take part in the murder.
north carolina news, durham county news, shooting, local/state
- Child killed in Johnston County crash
- Parents on smartphones ignore their kids, study finds
- Construction halted on controversial Raleigh home
- Thousands left in the dark due to outage
- Some recommendations approved for Chatham Park project
- Students describe aftermath of Ukrainian riots
- Raleigh shooting under investigation
- Judge: influence may have tainted Sinclair trial
- Dentist tells jurors he prayed child would die
- Elderly couple beaten, robbed in home
- Boaters rescued on Cape Fear River
- Stranded climber rescued from NC mountain
- Exercise highlights 440th Airlift Wing's importance
- Parts of Triangle still paralyzed by weather damage
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help