Police officer involved in Fayetteville crash
FAYETTEVILLE (WTVD) -- A Fayetteville police officer is recovering following a bad car crash.
It happened around 3:45 p.m. at Hay and Robeson Streets, where Robeson becomes Bragg Boulevard.
Officer Garrett Chapman, who is a five-year veteran of the force, was trapped inside his damaged cruiser for a brief time.
The driver of the other car told ABC11 that he swerved to miss a stopped vehicle, and hit the officer.
"I was coming this way with the flow of traffic, and I guess other cars were going that way to work a scene," said driver Robert Bateman. "The guy in front of me hit the brakes and I went out around him, evidently the light was red, and honestly I popped him."
Police say Chapman only had minor injuries.
Bateman was charged with running a red light, and driving without a license.
north carolina news, fayetteville news, accident, local/state, greg barnes
- Winter weather advisory issued for northern counties
- Match Madness challenge: A chance to save a life!
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession
- NCCU fans gather for March Madness watch party
- No. 6 UVa tops No. 7 Duke 72-63 for ACC title
- Final words from jet came after systems shutdown
- US rejects Crimea vote, cites Russian intimidation
- Church services remember those lost in NYC blast
- Newtown struggles to meet mental health demand
- NC to check Fayetteville police chief credentials
- Former student fires BB gun inside high school
- Duke University senior killed in Florida crash