Raleigh teen Justice Smith killed in hit and run
RALEIGH, N.C. (WTVD) -- Raleigh police say a 16-year-old girl is dead after she was hit by a vehicle that did not stop.
It happened Thursday night around 9:40 p.m. at North New Hope Road and Water Oak Drive.
Police said Justice Yasmeem Smith was taken to WakeMed, where she later died. Smith was a student at Wake Forest High School.
"It's sad. I don't really show emotion but inside it really hurts right now," said friend Deandre Webb.
Authorities say Smith was crossing New Hope Road when she was struck by a vehicle and knocked to the ground.
Police say another car hit the teen but that driver stopped and called authorities for help.
The driver of the second car told ABC11 she is devastated over the incident and she wants the girl's family to know she is praying for them and saddened by this loss.
"She was a loving person. I mean if you were down, she'd make you smile, like all the time. She was just a happy person. She was a people person," said Webb.
Police said the driver of the minivan that allegedly hit Smith was arrested Friday. He's been identified as 36-year-old William Creamont Beary.
Beary is charged with felony hit and run involving death or serious injury.
"I don't even know what they were thinking actually. If they knew they were in the wrong they would have stopped," said Webb.
Beary is being held at the Wake County Detention Center under a $25,000 bond.
The second driver is not being charged because she did stop.
north carolina news, wake county news, raleigh news, local/state
- Winter weather possible for some northern areas
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Don't worry, guacamole safe from climate change
- Airline passenger leaves nasty note for pilot
- Man accused of taking doctor's identity surrenders
- Durham crime numbers show mixed results
- Sinclair to face 15 year sentence, plea offer accepted
- NCCU students take part in Match Madness
- NC terror suspect says he's being tortured
- Man charged in fatal hit-and-run gets lower bond
- Road rage incident leads to gun being shown
- Coach K released from hospital after game
- More evidence presented in Teghan Skiba murder case
- EU slaps initial sanctions on Russia
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help