"Rally for Life" held day after federal judge blocks North Carolina abortion ultrasound law
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- An estimated 1,200 Catholic high school students braved the cold Saturday to attend a pro-life rally for teens outside of the Sacred Heart Cathedral in Raleigh.
"[I am here] to help stop ending the lives of unborn babies, at the moment of conception to the moment of birth. That's how strongly I feel about it, that I came out here in the cold weather," said pro-life supporter Salvador Chavero.
The teens started out the day taking part in a special mass led by Bishop Michael Burbidge celebrating the sacredness of life. It is a belief many at the rally say they feel strongly about.
"Yes, I do, because I think it's wrong to end someone's life that hasn't even been born," said Stephanie Chegue.
"It's not right to end somebody's life, and I think it's really good to show young ones, teach them it's not right just to take away someone's life so early," added Susann Rivera.
Nonetheless, the tone of the rally remained positive, which was a goal of Bishop Burbidge. He also was thrilled with the huge turnout.
"I am so proud, I'm so proud of our young people that on a Saturday morning when they have many options to do various activities they chose to come here," said Bishop Michael Burbidge of the Catholic Diocese of Raleigh. "What they bring with it is not only the conviction, but they also bring the enthusiasm, the joy, that should accompany this message."
From Sacred Heart, many of the teens then marched to nearby Nash Square where they joined hundreds of other Catholics who were participating in the annual North Carolina "Rally for Life."
north carolina news, wake county news, raleigh news, local/state
- Child killed in Johnston County crash 32 min ago
- Parents on smartphones ignore their kids, study finds
- Construction halted on controversial Raleigh home
- Thousands left in the dark due to outage
- Some recommendations approved for Chatham Park project 27 min ago
- Students describe aftermath of Ukrainian riots 53 min ago
- Raleigh shooting under investigation 18 min ago
- Judge: influence may have tainted Sinclair trial
- Dentist tells jurors he prayed child would die
- Elderly couple beaten, robbed in home
- Boaters rescued on Cape Fear River
- Stranded climber rescued from NC mountain
- Exercise highlights 440th Airlift Wing's importance
- Parts of Triangle still paralyzed by weather damage
- Child killed in Johnston County crash
32 min ago
- 2 shot in Gates Four community
30 min ago
- Some recommendations approved for Chatham...
27 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help