Teen shot to death walking down Rocky Mount street
ROCKY MOUNT, N.C. -- Investigators are trying to figure out who shot a 15-year-old boy to death as he walked home with a friend in Rocky Mount.
Authorities said Brian Tyrik Freeman died shortly after he was shot around 12:30 a.m. Saturday.
Police say Freeman was shot by someone in a passing car as he walked down a street with a friend.
The Rocky Mount teen was just a freshman at Rocky Mount Senior High School. His death has devastated his family and shocked a community into action.
On Monday, friends and family gathered at Martin Luther King Park to remember the 15 year old and raise money for his funeral. They marched with signs, all in hopes of making a change and getting justice for Freeman
Although Freeman was hit, his friend was able to run for cover. Freeman's aunt says the teen was too upset to march with the family.
"He's not doing well at all, he feels like he let Brian down because Brian got hit, and to avoid the bullets he had to keep going. He's having a really hard time," said Gloria Deans.
Family members say the violence is nothing new in Rocky Mount and that random gunshots rang out in the same neighborhood just a month ago. The victim's older cousins hope the community learns from their pain.
"Kids, young, shouldn't have to worry about those type of things when they're walking home," said Robert Freeman.
"You just never imagine them going before you," added Brandis Freeman.
This is not the first time tragedy has hit this family. Family members said the victim's mother has an older son in a nursing home. He suffered brain damage after being hit with a car on his bike a few years ago.
Investigators have made no arrests and are trying to determine a motive for the killing.
If you know anything about the shooting, you are asked to call the Rocky Mount Police Department.
north carolina news, edgecombe county news, nash county news, shooting, local/state
- Child killed in Johnston County crash 31 min ago
- Parents on smartphones ignore their kids, study finds
- Construction halted on controversial Raleigh home
- Thousands left in the dark due to outage
- Some recommendations approved for Chatham Park project 26 min ago
- Students describe aftermath of Ukrainian riots 52 min ago
- Raleigh shooting under investigation 17 min ago
- Judge: influence may have tainted Sinclair trial
- Dentist tells jurors he prayed child would die
- Elderly couple beaten, robbed in home
- Boaters rescued on Cape Fear River
- Stranded climber rescued from NC mountain
- Exercise highlights 440th Airlift Wing's importance
- Parts of Triangle still paralyzed by weather damage
- Child killed in Johnston County crash
31 min ago
- 2 shot in Gates Four community
29 min ago
- Some recommendations approved for Chatham...
26 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help