Ice to blame for fatal Durham County accident
DURHAM COUNTY (WTVD) -- Ice is being blamed for a fatal accident in Durham County Thursday morning.
The North Carolina Highway Patrol said a vehicle crashed just before 9 a.m. along St. Mary's Road, between Hardscrabble Drive and Red Pine Road.
Authorities identified the dead driver as 22-year-old Miguel Alejandro Rodriguez -Galvan of Hillsborough.
St. Mary's Road, along with other secondary roads in Durham, was considered "clear with some icy spots," according to authorities.
While troopers said ice was to blame, it was unclear if speed was also a factor.
The NCHP is still investigating the accident.
North Carolina Department of Transportation crews have since treated the roadway with a layer of salt and sand.
north carolina news, durham county news, accident, local/state
- Governor declares emergency in North Carolina
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Man to go to trial over Girl Scout cookie purchase
- US employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather
- Veteran robbed, assaulted in home
- Missing Maryland girl found in South Carolina
- Accuser gives sexually explicit, emotional testimony
- Woman injured after jumping from car
- NC Sen. Nesbitt service Tuesday in home county
- River water above NC spill high in iron, aluminum
- I-Team: Congress concerned about VA data breach
- Things to do if you have 36 hours in Raleigh
- Testimony reveals Richardson suffered years of abuse
- Rangers rally past Hurricanes 4-2
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help