Boy clinging to life after 4 shot at Rocky Mount church
ROCKY MOUNT, N.C. -- A 12-year-old North Carolina boy remains in critical condition after being shot in the head while playing on a church playground.
Rocky Mount Police spokesman Cpl. Michael Lewis said Wednesday that the condition of Nyreek Horne remains unchanged a day after a gunman sprayed more than 15 bullets toward a crowd playing basketball behind the Word Tabernacle Church. Three other males, ages 13, 17 and 19 - were all treated and released.
Witnesses could provide only a vague description of the shooter, who ran away and was seen getting into a small, light-colored SUV. Rocky Mount police are offering a $5,000 reward for information that leads them to a suspect.
The shooting came days after 15-year-old Brian Freeman was shot and killed nearby. No arrests have yet been made.
north carolina news, nash county news, shooting, local/state
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- No. 7 Duke beats NC State 75-67
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- N.C. Central beats Morgan St. for MEAC title
- Workers sift through rubble for clues to NYC blast
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- Man shot, killed at Willow Springs bar
- Woman found unconscious behind the wheel in Durham
- Power knocked out to hundreds after car hits power pole
- Sheriff: Wendell couple killed in murder-suicide