Wreck at the end of Hope Mills police chase leaves one dead
HOPE MILLS, N.C. (WTVD) -- Authorities say a detective attempted to stop a car for suspected use of narcotics when the suspect refused to stop early Saturday.
Police followed the 1993 white Cadillac to National Drive off Snow Hill Road, which is where the chase ended around 12:40 a.m.
Officials say the suspect struck the detective's vehicle, and then rammed an additional police car.
After the crash, shots were fired, and the driver of the car was hurt and taken to the Cape Fear Valley Medical Center.
Authorities say a passenger managed to escape on foot, and is still at large.
Police say an officer was also injured in the incident, but has since been treated and released from the hospital.
The driver, 25-year-old Kevin Dejon Grissett, passed away as a result of his injuries.
The SBI is investigating.
north carolina news, cumberland county news, local/state
- Governor declares emergency in North Carolina
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Man to go to trial over Girl Scout cookie purchase
- US employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather
- Veteran robbed, assaulted in home
- Missing Maryland girl found in South Carolina
- Accuser gives sexually explicit, emotional testimony
- Woman injured after jumping from car
- NC Sen. Nesbitt service Tuesday in home county
- River water above NC spill high in iron, aluminum
- I-Team: Congress concerned about VA data breach
- Things to do if you have 36 hours in Raleigh
- Testimony reveals Richardson suffered years of abuse
- Rangers rally past Hurricanes 4-2
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help