Sister: Amanda Hayes admitted to role in Laura Ackerson's death
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Amanda Hayes' sister told jurors Wednesday that Amanda said she was covering up for her husband in Laura Ackerson's death.
In the summer of 2011, Karen Berry was interviewed by police looking into 27-year-old Laura Ackerson's death. She told them her sister might be involved and said she dreaded the day she might have to come to court and testify against her. Wednesday was that day.
"She told me that Laura was dead and that she had done it," said Berry, about her sister, Amanda Hayes.
During her testimony, Hayes never looked up and, instead, wrote as her sister testified.
What Berry said Wednesday was stronger than her testimony in Grant Hayes' trial.
Five months ago, Grant Hayes was convicted of the murder of Ackerson, who was the mother of his two boys. That happened even though Berry testified then that her sister had told her only that she had hurt Laura and hurt her bad.
Now, however, Amanda Hayes says she didn't know Laura had died at the Raleigh apartment where Amanda lived with Hayes, his two young sons, and their infant daughter.
She says Grant not only killed Ackerson, but cut up her body and hid it in a trailer with furniture they towed to Berry's house in Texas.
Amanda says that's where Grant threatened to kill her and the children if she didn't help dump the body parts in a creek across from Berry's house.
Berry told jurors she helped raise Amanda, who is 14 years younger. She says she taught Amanda like she taught her own children - that when you lie you get one second chance to look her in the eye and tell the truth.
She says that's what happened right before Amanda left Texas to return to Raleigh.
"I said, 'Are you covering for Grant,' and it was like the little look of when she was a little girl, and she just like, she just like, and she just kind of melted," said Berry. "She never said a word, but she nodded her head 'yes'."
Now, it will be up to the jury to sort out two very different stories.
wake county news, homicide, north carolina news, raleigh news, local/state, ed crump
- Suspect in Durham carjacking, crash sought 1 min ago
- Why married women cheat
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- Lindsay Lohan calls sex list 'humiliating'
- Duke's Rodney Hood to enter NBA Draft 30 min ago
- Video: Easter celebration to take place in Durham
- 12 killed, 3 missing in avalanche on Everest
- Persons of interest identified in Fayetteville shooting
- Whoopi Goldberg writes Denver Post cannabis column
- Doomed ferry's sharp turn, slow evacuation probed
- Photos: 13-pound baby boy born near Philadelphia
- Michaels confirms breach of as many as 2.6M cards
- Why married women cheat
- Woman forgives son's killer at the gallows
- Suspect in Durham carjacking, crash sought
3 min ago