Child survives four-story fall in Cary, father calls it a miracle
CARY, N.C. (WTVD) -- The survival of a little girl who tumbled four-stories out of a window in Cary Thursday afternoon is being called a miracle.
Twenty-two-month-old Sophia Foushee fell from the window of her home at the Swift Creek Apartments on Maroubra Loop.
"It was just straight down there in those bushes," said Sophia's dad, Russ Foushee.
Russ said his wife, Debika, was picking out clothes for Sophia in her room when the baby wandered near the cracked window.
"She [Debika] heard the noise, looked over and saw Sophia kind of hanging part way outside," said Russ. "By the time she got over there just a few steps, she fell."
The couple rushed outside where they found Sophia unconscious and unresponsive.
"My wife has some medical training and did some mouth-to-mouth," said Russ. "Got her breathing again and she was crying and moving."
EMS crews rushed the toddler to WakeMed's Trauma Center with cuts and bruises to her arms and chest -- all non-life threatening injuries.
"CAT scans, MRIs, x-rays all are negative," said Russ. "It's a miracle she's doing great though."
It's definitely a miracle considering how far she fell.
"I was trying to estimate the height so I measured the steps," said Russ. "They're seven inches, and there are 60 steps -- so 420 inches is however many that would be."
That's an estimate of at least a 35 foot plunge.
Russ told ABC11 that it's a good thing that babies have soft bones.
"They're soft and fleshy and the people at the hospital said babies bounce," said Russ.
Sophia should go home on Saturday.
Police and protective child services interviewed the couple and determined the incident was an accident.
The apartment complex repaired the window and has added child safety locks that limit how wide the windows can be opened.
north carolina news, wake county news, local/state, fred shropshire
- Crews battle large apartment complex fire 42 min ago
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- ABC11 channel changes
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence 13 min ago
- Girl allegedly begged Richardson not to hurt her
- Three schools consolidated into one at Ft. Bragg
- Police: Man who solicited sex from teen charged
- Residents told of arsenic in water
- Authorities: Chris Brown arrested on warrant 2 min ago
- Community comes together to fight for Maddison
- Pittsburgh beats No. 15 UNC 80-75 23 min ago
- NC Central tops Norfolk St 68-45 33 min ago
- Arrest warrants issued in Gates Four shooting