Durham teenager charged in grandmother, brother's stabbing
DURHAM (WTVD) -- A Durham teenager charged in the murder of his grandmother and the attempted murder of his 4-year-old brother faced a judge Thursday.
Durham police arrested 17-year-old Treyvon Evans Wednesday, not long after 62-year-old Carolyn Hemingway was found stabbed to death inside the Glasson Street apartment she shared with Evans and his two younger siblings.
Authorities arrived at the apartment around 5 a.m. Wednesday after they received a 911 from a neighbor.
The teen allegedly seriously injured his 4-year-old brother following an argument inside the apartment, then carried him upstairs to the neighbor's apartment for help -- claiming he just returned home to find the scene.
The boy was rushed to Duke University Hospital and is expected to make a full recovery. Evan's sister was found crying inside the home, but was unharmed.
During Evans' first court appearance Thursday, he sat silently in the courtroom and only spoke when the judge asked whether he understood the charges against him.
He was then ordered to be held without bond on the murder charge. He also has a $500,000 bond for an assault with a deadly weapon charge.
Evans will remain at the Durham County Jail at least until his next court appearance that is set for next month.
Police records show this wasn't Evans' first fight at his grandmother's apartment.
While the teen showed no emotion after his arrest, a local youth minister says he got to know a different side of the teen charged with murder.
"This is the same young man that would come and sit in our pews and laugh and smile and clap when the choir was singing," said Kelsey Lodge, with Antioch Baptist Church. "It touched my heart to know that I knew this young man and I wondered if there was something I could've said or done or reached out to him more for him to come back and say, 'Hey, I need help.'"
According to Durham County Public Schools, Evans was a student at Riverside High School as recently at December, but currently is not enrolled.
A neighbor told ABC11 Wednesday that the children were staying at Hemingway's apartment with her because their mother was in the hospital with some type of illness.
north carolina news, durham county news, stabbing, local/state
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh 26 min ago
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- ABC11 channel changes
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Woman found unconscious behind the wheel in Durham
- Power knocked out to hundreds after car hits power pole
- Crews battle large apartment complex fire
- Duke senior killed in Florida crash
- Sinclair trial to resume Monday at Fort Bragg
- Girl allegedly begged Richardson not to hurt her
- Three schools consolidated into one at Ft. Bragg
- I-Team investigates coal ash ponds on Cape Fear River
- Police: Man who solicited sex from teen charged