Supports believe Ill. gay marriage bill to pass this week
January 6, 2013 -- It's stalled in Springfield, but supporters of Illinois' gay marriage bill say they believe it will pass this week.
Sunday, the archdiocese of Chicago used that platform to remind parishioners were the church stands.
The General Assembly is being urged by the president to legalize gay marriage in Illinois.
The executive committee voted 8-5 to send the bill to the Senate floor and some lawmakers have unveiled plans to take up the measure in these closing days of the current General Assembly. Supporters believe they have the votes to get their wish.
Gay rights organizations held a rally outside the Thompson Center on Saturday as lawmakers were meeting inside to discuss pension reform.
They encouraged people to push for the gay marriage bill to pass.
"It's not fair, we deserve fairness and we deserve equality in this state," said Anthony Martinez, Civil Rights Agenda.
But the archdiocese of Chicago is hoping lawmakers and residents think things through.
A letter was given out to parishioners at Holy Name Cathedral Sunday morning said the church is not against gay relationships, but against gay marriage.
"I'm so pleased to see the Catholic Church open up more and reach out and in terms of same sex marriage," said parishioner Janet Bedin. In the letter it says they are not anti-gay, which I'm so glad to see as well, and that they accept everyone."
The cardinal reminded parishioners to focus on core church beliefs.
"There is a lot of love, authentic love, that doesn't express itself in marriage. We all know people who are truly loving people and they are of different sexual persuasions, but here what is at issue is changing the nature of marriage. This is a natural right," said Francis Cardinal George.
Both sides may have to wait.
With the deadline for pension reform looming, the gay marriage issue may not come up until after the new assembly is sworn in.
illinois news, diane pathieu
- Bicycle Man's legacy lives on 37 min ago
- Family, police at odds over Huerta vigil violence
- One dead, one hurt in Carrboro shooting
- 'Duck Dynasty' family calls show's future into question
- Obama skips out of Washington for Hawaii vacation
- Fury and frustration over Target data breach
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall carjacking 29 min ago
- Things you didn't know about reindeer
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Wild video: Duke Energy implodes smokestacks
- Woman rescued from crashed van
- Durham house damaged by fire
- NASA astronauts begin urgent spacewalking repairs 1 min ago
- Senate leader Harry Reid released from hospital
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help