Quinn announces spring construction projects
March 25, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- Ill. Governor Pat Quinn has announced $486 million in road and bridge projects that will be started this spring, one of the largest early season construction programs in the state's history.
Quinn released a list of nearly 200 road and bridge projects across the state that will begin in the coming weeks.
"Illinois has a world-class transportation system and we are making it even stronger by carrying out one of the largest spring construction programs ever," Governor Quinn said. "This bold investment will help put thousands of people to work improving our roads and bridges and laying the foundation for economic development for years to come."
The governor made the announcement on Chicago's South Side, where a $32 million investment will rebuild the Stony Island Feeder to the Bishop Ford Freeway/I-94. The project at the interchange, which handles up to 64,000 vehicles per day, involves the repair, reconstruction, removal and replacement of seven bridges. Scheduled for completion in 2014, the project also involves resurfacing and replacing pavement and intersection improvements. Lighting and signage will also be updated.
IDOT also announced additional Chicago-area transportation investments including: a $19.4 million bridge replacement project at Cumberland Avenue over the Kennedy Expressway, $3.5 million in additional bridge repairs on the Kennedy, and $2.6 million on resurfacing projects on IL Rt. 43/Harlem Avenue at Higgins Avenue in Chicago and on West 127th Street in Crestwood.
IDOT is offering contractors a reimbursement rate of $10 an hour for hiring graduates of the Highway Construction Careers Training Program, an IDOT-sponsored initiative to encourage women and minorities to pursue careers in the transportation construction industry.
Combined with the Illinois Tollway's $12 billion capital program, Move Illinois: The Illinois Tollway Driving the Future, the state of Illinois is carrying out one of the largest capital construction efforts in the nation.
For more information on the work being carried out by IDOT this spring, go to: http://www.dot.il.gov/desenv/042613/042613letg.html.
illinois news, diane pathieu
- Winter weather advisory issued for northern counties
- Match Madness challenge: A chance to save a life!
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession
- Final words from jet came after systems shutdown
- Duke stays close to home as No. 3 seed
- Tar Heels draw Providence in NCAA opener
- Iowa State ready to face North Carolina Central
- No. 6 UVa tops No. 7 Duke 72-63 for ACC title
- Church services remember those lost in NYC blast
- Newtown struggles to meet mental health demand
- US rejects Crimea vote, cites Russian intimidation
- NC to check Fayetteville police chief credentials
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos