Rockford area Catholic parishes OK'd to sponsor Boy Scout troops
June 6, 2013 (ROCKFORD, Ill.) -- The head of the Catholic diocese in Rockford says parishes in his region can keep sponsoring Boy Scout troops.
The statement comes after the scouting group's national organization said it would start allowing openly gay members.
Catholic organizations in Rockford sponsor 42 scouting groups.
The Most Reverend David Malloy says the recent decision by the scouts does not seem to provide an obstacle to the church's sponsorship of local scouting troops.
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- No. 7 Duke beats NC State 75-67
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- N.C. Central beats Morgan St. for MEAC title
- Workers sift through rubble for clues to NYC blast
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- Man shot, killed at Willow Springs bar
- Woman found unconscious behind the wheel in Durham
- Power knocked out to hundreds after car hits power pole
- Sheriff: Wendell couple killed in murder-suicide