Gay scout denied Eagle rank says he believes in God
The Boy Scouts of America say that Ryan Andresen was denied his Eagle Award because of a violation of the organization's religious principles, but the 17-year-old refutes that, saying he believes in a "higher power."
"...The only reason he's being denied the rank of Eagle is because the Boy Scouts of America has a problem with Ryan being gay," said his mother, Karen Andresen, 49.
Andresen has spent a decade completing the requirements for the coveted award, and now that he is just about to turn 18 -- the cut-off date for attaining the highest honor -- his Moraga, Calif., his troop won't approve it.
- Suspect in Wake Forest kidnapping captured
- Blast on site of explosives plants kills 1
- Easter butter lamb gets 'pardon' at Buffalo market 13 min ago
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Photos: Outer Banks store burns
- Gov. Pat McCrory proposes help for vets
- Man shot outside Fayetteville grocery store
- Former teacher faces charges
- Big rig crashes through front of pharmacy
- Gas prices on the rise; still lower than last Easter
- Nurseries, homeowners take steps to protect plants
- Troubleshooter investigates Papa John's dough
- Wake sounds alarm on teacher shortage
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' sequel in the works 12 min ago