Gay scout denied Eagle rank says he believes in God
The Boy Scouts of America say that Ryan Andresen was denied his Eagle Award because of a violation of the organization's religious principles, but the 17-year-old refutes that, saying he believes in a "higher power."
"...The only reason he's being denied the rank of Eagle is because the Boy Scouts of America has a problem with Ryan being gay," said his mother, Karen Andresen, 49.
Andresen has spent a decade completing the requirements for the coveted award, and now that he is just about to turn 18 -- the cut-off date for attaining the highest honor -- his Moraga, Calif., his troop won't approve it.
- Possible tornado damage reported in Franklin County 7 min ago
- Get the ABC11 First Alert Weather App
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Southern Pines officer remembered 9 min ago
- Wake County Schools names new superintendent 2 min ago
- Chrysler agrees to recall of Jeeps at risk of fire
- Did Wake Co teacher encourage bullying?
- UNC ousts Tigers from CWS with 4-2 win
- Are there repercussions to 'Moral Monday' arrests?
- New charge for man in Raleigh hit and run
- Fayetteville man faces 139 sex charges
- Long road to recovery for child attacked by dog
- New England Patriots star to be question about a murder
- Possible tornado damage reported in...
9 min ago
- Southern Pines officer remembered
5 min ago