American Airlines, US Airways could merge
CHARLOTTE -- A possible merger between American Airlines and U.S. Airways that would create the nation's largest carrier could be in the works and announced as soon as next week.
The two airlines have been discussing a potential deal for months and sources tell ABC News affiliate WFAA that the board of directors of AMR Corp., American's parent company, will meet on Monday to consider a possible merger.
Nothing has been decided and no actual deal is in place, a source told ABC News. That doesn't mean a deal can't be hammered out between the two airlines.
Both airlines have declined to comment on reports that a merger is imminent. If a deal is reached, the new airline would become the largest in the U.S.
- McNeill found guilty of first-degree murder 52 min ago
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys 27 min ago
- Jurors deadlock on Jodi Arias penalty 19 min ago
- Suspect in Raleigh murder has criminal past
- Senate Republicans move NC budget to House
- Raleigh names new interim city manager
- Hurricane forecast: Another busy Atlantic season
- Senate leader at odds with Governor over Dix lease
- Abaroa's marriage counselor takes stand
- Police investigate murder-suicide in Durham
- Cary 9 year old starts Oklahoma fundraiser