Catholics react to pope remarks on gays, abortion
DURHAM -- Catholics around the globe are expressing mixed but mostly positive reactions to Pope Francis' recent remarks that the church has become too focused on "small-minded rules" on hot-button issues like homosexuality and abortion.
At churches over the weekend, the faithful spoke about how they believed Francis' comments would impact the Catholic Church.
At Immaculate Conception in Durham, members of the congregation say they hope the pope's message will encourage others to return to church.
"It's a bright day to hear these words being spoken and not see so much polarization and focus on the other things, we need to focus on the really important issues," churchgoer Jim Leak said.
Even those who find the pope's stance to be a breath of fresh air acknowledge it might not be well-received by all Catholics.
"I think there's always that possibility. It's a big church, a large church, and there's a lot of opinion and comment," said churchgoer Sandy Leak.
But for those who are big fans of Pope Francis said they're celebrating the fact that he seeks to embrace all Catholics.
"There's nothing in him that seeks to alienate people, I think, and I think people are going to appreciate that message," Sandy Leak said.
- Residents gather signatures to protest Publix store
- Photos: The Golden Globe nominees
- 5 year old surprises deaf parents at school holiday concert
- Texas teen who killed four in crash sentenced to probation
- Jailer to serve 90 days behind bars
- Feds shut 52 unsafe bus companies
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- NKorea executes Kim Jong Un's uncle as a traitor
- Bank robbery suspect sought in Fayetteville
- McCrory: Raleigh buildings are 'ugly as the dickens'
- Rash of shootings have Sanford on edge
- Bowl president: 'No doubt' about No. 22 Duke
- Pool parasite sickens high school swimmers
- McCrory lights State Capitol Christmas tree
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help