Former Rep. Bob Etheridge to run for governor
RALEIGH -- Former Rep. Bob Etheridge announced Thursday that he is running for the Democratic nomination for governor.
The 70-year-old was defeated by political newcomer Renee Ellmers in Nov. 2010 in a close race in the 2nd Congressional District.
Etheridge served in Congress for 14 years and eight years before that as state schools superintendent.
Exactly a year ago, Gov. Bev Perdue tapped him to head North Carolina's Economic Recovery and Investment Office, which manages the state's remaining federal stimulus aide.
In a statement Thursday, Etheridge said: "After considerable thought and a whole lot of encouragement, I am announcing today, my candidacy for the Democratic Party nomination for Governor.
"My life's work has been about improving the public education system in North Carolina. As we move forward, we must ensure we are making the key investments in public education, community colleges and the university system.
"This election is about leadership. It's about moving forward - not moving backward.
"I will be talking about our future and our commitment to move North Carolina forward. If we want a 21st century economy, we must have 21st century schools."
The Harnett County Democrat joins Lt. Gov. Walter Dalton and state Rep. Bill Faison in the party's primary. Three others are still considering whether to get into the race. U.S. Reps. Brad Miller of Raleigh and Mike McIntyre of Lumberton and former State Treasurer Richard Moore each said Thursday they were still considering a gubernatorial bid.
- Authorities investigating fatal shooting 41 min ago
- 'Duck Dynasty' star on hiatus after anti-gay comments
- Photos: Clinton is Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating
- Whole Foods will stop selling Chobani
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Target security breach affects up to 40M cards
- FAA reveals what caused Southwest flight to plummet
- 30 injured as bus overturns on California freeway
- No. 8 Duke beats UCLA 80-63
- NCCU new head football coach named
- NC ferry towed from sandbar after running aground
- Camp director facing child porn charges
- Troxler endorses Tillis for Senate primary in NC
- Trial for Army general facing sex charges delayed
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help